Tenuta San Cristoforo
Buildings belonging to a single complex situated in an old independent hamlet surrounded by land with an accommodation and catering activity (umbrian country house law) authorised over the entire complex - the whole building complex has recently been completely renovated - conservative restoration.
description - identification - sq.m.
room annexes - - 136
storeroom annexes - - 30
kitchen and dining area - - 180
hotel area without church - - 425
old church hall - - 175
residential area - - 320
utilities and services:
drinking water supplied by an independently owned well with a sunken electric pump controlled a.s.l. – non-stop electricity supplied by enel energia together with an independently owned 17 kw photovoltaic plant – natural gas held in independently owned no. 2 underground tanks with a regulation plant and meter – no. 1 gas boiler room with a collection tank, no.1 latest generation ecological wood burning boiler room – regulation sewage system with imhoff tanks – cable telephone connection – the entire area covered by wi fi network with indepenedently owned plant – good radio mobile phone coverage, excellent in the restaurant- structure connected to digital tv;
country house accommodation authorisation:
the country house has 10 rooms with private bathrooms in the main part of the building within the old farmhouse and tobacco drying house, all with near facilities: two triples with three beds or a double with a third bed; six doubles that can be arranged with a king-size double or with twin beds; two doubles with a french bed available also as a single. to reach the rooms on the first and second floor there are some characteristic oustide steps that lead to an entrance-lounge.
the country house also has 4 lodgings with independent entrances, three built out of the old farming annexes and the other to one side in the shade of the bell tower.
the entire complex has been renovated with selected materials such as the handmade terracotta flooring and ceiling, the chestnut wood for the doors, windows and beams. glimpses of the old house appear here and there, in the alcoves turned into wardrobes, old windows captured in the interior walls and the retrieved beams.
all the accommodation areas are totally furnished and with facilities – the restaurant has all the equipment – the kitchen is complete with convection oven.
there is the possibility of putting up another building of approx. 30 sq.m. annexed to the original building but totally independent – there is not a swimming pool at the moment but there are arrangements. on the property there is an artesian well built at the beginning of the renovation (year 2000) which supplies drinking water to the whole complex, two natural wells still in function – a spring.
These buildings called Pian di Marte, including the church (now consecrated) of San Cristoforo, were the parish premises from the beginning of the 80’s for the community that dwelled in Pian di Marte, an area near Trasimeno lake, between the communities of Passignano and Lisciano Niccone. Situated on the summit of the Poggio (hillock) that dominates the plain, S. Christophorus Plani Martis was built to substitute an older church that was a bit further away. The primitive church was mentioned in the document in which, in 1163, Emperor Frederick I, Barbarossa, made an agreement with the cardinal of Perugia over the protection of the cathedral with its churches. The existence of this parish is evident since the 1500’s; in 1565 there is mention of the baptising font (now to be found in the Museo Diocesano of Perugia) but the actual date of its making is unknown. A devastating earthquake at the end of the 1600’s damaged the existing buildings and it was at the beginning of the following century that the rectory and then, steady and slowly, the other buildings were built to form the entire complex. There is a great quantity of historical evidence from the beginning of that era to be found in the stones and materials used in the building. The entrance from the loggia to the rectory dates back to 1742 and a lintel on the first floor bears the date 1717. The church of San Cristoforo, with its elegant square bell tower of four floors, will preserve over time its rectangular shape gained in the 1700’s, within which five underground tombs belong, guarding their dead, awaiting further in depth research. There are traces of names and dates from 1600, small devotional objects, skeletons lined up and bones scattered of personages of noble stature, perhaps Cavaliers of Malta from one of the many border garrisons between Perugia and Cortona, between the Pope and Tuscany. Over a period of decades, the complex of San Cristoforo has been extended and onto the rectory a farmhouse for the peasants who worked the land of the Church was added. Over the years, parts were added on to the house in such a way that interior walls still show traces of old windows. Finally a tobacco drying house was built of which the mouths of the ovens and high chimneys are still visible.
Now the site has been restored and work on the interior of the church will soon be finished whereas the rebuilding of the complex and the opening to business is now a reality. The Rural Hospitality Pian di Marte Country House enterprise has been active since 2008 and its business and enjoyment is growing year by year. Pian di Marte is a genuine small hamlet that includes, apart from the church, an impressive farmhouse, an old tobacco drying house, barns, stables and farming sheds that all together cover a surface area of more than a thousand square metres.
“Pian di Marte, what a great battle name!” Paolo Rumiz wrote about this place (La Repubblica, 9th August 2007), in fact the image conjured up is that of the god of war. The most convincing theory for the historians of the 1600’s was that there was a temple dedicated to the god in the area of “Piano di Marte”, whereas a nineteenth century research concentrated on a battle fought here between Romans and Gauls in the distant V century B.C. Soon, however, it became mutual opinion that it was the events connected to the Roman defeat at the hand of Hannibal. What is certain is that the great battle of Trasimeno on June 24th 217 B.C. marked indelibly the memory of the hills north of the lake. In the nearby territory of Tuoro, Hannibal ambushed Flaminio the consul and overcame the Roman army but it would appear that part of the Roman cavalry managed to escape the mass slaughter, finding shelter in this valley. However, Maarbale, Hannibal’s lieutenant, followed them and every one of the Roman survivors died at the hands of their pursuers or from their wounds or from hunger, “ ...a good part of those who, hunted by the victors, wounded and starving, found themselves on a plain, nowadays commonly called Pian di Marte, and here from the fatigue of running or from their wounds died in many and therefore this is why this place was said to be “Pian di Morte” (Plain of Death) and not ‘di Marte’ (of Mars) as named today, possibly due to a spelling mistake. This is a beautiful area surrounded by high hills and washed by many rivers and streams… ”C. Piccolpasso 1963. Local legend, remembering the bloodshed, talks about ‘plain of martyrs’ and leave us with two precious traces on the territory: the ‘Spring of Hannibal’, also known as ‘Silver Spring’ and the ‘House of the Widows’ where legend says that the wives of the fallen legionaries could be found. With the clamour and grief of the battle now far away, we like to look on Pian di Marte from the Poggio, its cultivated fields, the cows at pasture, leaving only the echoes evoked by the name of the ancient Roman god of war.